February 8, 2010

Celebrating Black History Through Fashion - Part 6 (Ladies of Howard U.)


This photo shows six Howard University women at a football game. I'm not certain of the year but my guess is circa 1940. Being a fan of flapper style, I love everything about this photo. These ladies are extremely fly in flapper hats, skirt suits, brooches and pearl necklaces. We rarely see women get THIS dressed up nowadays and the fact that they are this fabulous at a football game is simply amazing. By the looks of the gentlemen in the background, dressing up for games was clearly the standard then. Don't you just love it?!



*photo courtesy of blackhistoryalbum.com

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous jessica said...

I saw this pic and fell in LOVE! I can tell you that as a Howard U lady we always get THIS dressed up for for football games. It's serious! I remember wearing many a high heeled outfit to games LOL!

February 8, 2010 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Nikia Jefferson said...

Oh wow! And here I thought dressing up was a dying art. I'm glad to hear that Howard U women are still workin' it! :-)

February 8, 2010 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger DWJ said...

Yeah, HU girls do dress up for games...for everything! We called the yard a runway. I've looked at pictures of me in undergrad trying to figure out where I was going so fly...to class, or a game, or something on campus. HU girls like to stay fly! HA!

February 8, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home