February 17, 2010

Celebrating Black History Through Fashion - Part 9 (Bronzeville Ladies)



This is yet another Russell Lee photo - as you can see, I love his work. These women are waiting outside a Bronzeville Episcopal church in 1941. I really do love everything about them. The hats, brooches, gloves and clutch bags scream Sunday-morning glamour. The dress on the woman in the middle, with the puffy shoulders and belted waist, is giving me life!! The suits worn by the other two have such lovely collars. The wide collar on the right is perfect for the oversized flower pin and the fur collar on the left is a lovely frame for the metal brooch worn at the neckline. Looking at this picture, something tells me they KNEW they looked chic. You know how we get when we think we're cute. ;-)






*photo courtesy of bvikkivintage

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Kim said...

Fabulous! I love seeing the current trends in old photos. I'm going to look for a pair of nice vintage lady gloves this weekend.

February 17, 2010 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Nikia Jefferson said...

Great idea! I'm still on a brooch kick. Vintage gloves may be next on my list.

February 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This picture is quite fab! Anything vintage makes my heart flutter.

February 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Nikia Jefferson said...

I agree!

February 21, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home