December 9, 2009

The One of a Kind Show: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

I've always heard about the One of a Kind Show but never had a chance to attend. So, when I received complimentary tickets this year, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to check it out.

Over 500 artists selling everything from paintings and sculptures to clothing and jewelry?! I honestly didn't know what to expect. I must say it was a fantastic event! I attended 2 days in a row for approximately 2 hours each day and STILL didn't have time to check out everything.

Here's a little glimpse into the Good, the Bad and the Ugly from my One of A Kind Show experience.

The GOOD:

The One of a Kind Show is the perfect place to find gifts for people that have EVERYTHING....while making a few purchases for yourself, of course. ;-) Almost all of the vendors were selling items I had never seen before. There even was an Etsy Pavilion (aka "Heaven on Earth", at least in my mind) showcasing Etsy artists. This is why it takes so long to see everything. Every booth draws you in and forces you to spend at least 15 minutes admiring everything and contemplating purchases.

Here are just a few of my favorite vendors from the One of a Kind Show:
*check out the pics below*


- Rebel Designs: Everything in this booth was tres chic! My favorites were the handbags and the embellished leather bracelets.

- Cerese D: Lovely handcrafted jewelry. I immediately fell in love with the bold necklaces.

- Dandy Craft: Unique ceramic jewelry with my favorites being the bracelets and rings.

- Lumiere Designs: Adjustable necklaces, dare I say neck cuffs, that look SO funky. I almost walked away with 2 of these.

- Poési: Delicate and feminine jewelry. Some of the most unique dangle/drop earrings I've ever seen!

- Gigi Bijou: Handmade paper jewelry. The earrings were my favorites and Gigi is one of THE coolest people I met at the show!

- Pencil Lady: An array of items constructed with pencils. The furniture creations are definite conversation pieces.

- Mary Pat Wallen: Amazing wall and 3D sculptures. I'm 100% sure that when hubby and I buy a house, her work will be one of the first in our home.

- Anastasia Mak: Beautiful artwork of monuments in Chicago and abroad. I fell head over heels for all of her European prints!
















(l-r)
1st row:
Rebel Designs Oval Crystal Cuff
Dandy Craft Poppy Yellow Cocktail Ring

2nd row:
Poési In The Shade Earrings
Pencil Lady Table

3rd row:
"Cloud Gate" by Anastasia Mak
"Colosseum After Rain " by Anastasia Mak



The BAD:

I'm not usually one to criticize or complain on my blog but the level of disappointment and disgust I experienced with one of my purchases has prompted me to do so.

While at the show, I purchased an absolutely gorgeous pair of earrings and a ring from a certain vendor. Since I was on a strict budget, I had to be sure that I was completely in love with whatever I was planning to buy. Needless to say, I was completely enamored with both the ring and earrings. Unfortunately, once I got home and begin researching the vendor online, I realized I had paid 30% more for my items than what was offered on the vendor's website. I never would've thought that a vendor at a show would charge MORE than normal. At these types of shopping events, I don't assume items are always on sale - although that would be nice - but at the most, I expect to be paying no more than the retail price. I was floored! And also determined to go back the following day to discuss this issue with said vendor...



The UGLY:

When I confronted the vendor, she initially said that the extra costs would've otherwise been paid for shipping costs if I ordered online. Huh? 30%? I've never even paid that much when purchasing items from overseas. Then she goes on further to say that she's from New York and that it costs to participate in the show. I simply told her that she could either refund me the difference or take all of the items back so that I could order online. Although, she eventually refunded me the difference, her reaction was very unpleasant, to say the least.

I will not say that this has tainted my view of the show or the other vendors. However, I WILL say that her unprofessionalism and disdain response was highly unacceptable. I can only imagine the number of consumers who unknowingly dished out their hard-earned money to purchase her items at a premium. Simply. Ridiculous.

So, who might this vendor be? *drum roll*

Sorry, but I won't say at this time. I still feel uncomfortable putting people on blast...I guess it's the God in me. :-) I will, however, contact the wonderful people behind this magnificent event to let them know.

*Fellow bloggers, let me know if revealing the name is appropriate.*


Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the One of a Kind Show! I will not let this minor incident deter me from attending for years to come. As a matter of fact, I'm already contemplating starting a "One of a Kind Show fund". Who knew being unique could get SO expensive?! LOL

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger D'Monique said...

FIRST...that sounded like an absolutely FANTABULOUS event that I NEED to attend next year! I'm all about the unique handbags and jewelry.

SECOND...though I'm a virgin to the world of blogging and don't know much about the "rules", I think you should be true to yourself and refrain from revealing the vendor's name. Let the event coordinators deal with it :-)

December 10, 2009 at 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anastasia Mak said...

wow, thanks for the mention! I'm flattered...

February 17, 2010 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Nikia Jefferson said...

My pleasure. :-)

February 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home