August 29, 2011

Randolph Street Market: Things I Saw

This past Saturday, I had the wonderful opportunity to accompany Nikia Jefferson, the mind behind ChiTown Fashionista, her husband and her friend to the Chicago’s World Famous Randolph Street Market for my first official outing as a ChiTown Fashionista contributor. It was also my first encounter with America’s biggest urban market.

I would be lying to you and myself if I didn’t admit that I had a few reservations about attending the event. All I heard was “street” and “market” in the same sentence, which was enough to turn me off, and if that wasn’t enough, Mother Nature turned the temperature up to a scorching 1,000 degrees!

As I arose from the blissfulness of my bed to travel towards the “street market,” I thought to myself, “This is crazy! Turn around.” However, I guess I’m not always right. There’s indeed a first time for everything.

The Randolph Street Market was both refreshing and adventurous. Over 200 indoor and outdoor vendors and boutiques were packed like sardines to showcase their eclectic finds. You could spot everything, from vintage treasures and collector’s items to indie fashion designs and decorative home furnishings. The event also offered many food and drink options.

I see why the “market” is being compared to New York City’s SoHo - but honestly, I’ve been to SoHo and it has nothing on this! Sally Schwartz, the Founder and Executive Producer of the Randolph Street Market, is both fashion forward and kind. If you ever find yourself at the event, make sure you find her.

I’ll definitely be returning until I can’t return anymore. Maybe you can join me and the entire ChiTown Fashionista crew next time.

Check out the price details, location and event dates below:

Admission
(Children 12 and under are always free)
Online - $8.00 for general public, $3.00 for students and seniors with ID
At Door - $10.00 for general public, $5.00 for students and seniors with ID

Location
1350 West Randolph Street
Chicago, Illinois 60607

Dates
(Remaining in 2011)
(Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m., Sundays from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.)

September 24 - 25
October 22 - 23 (indoor fashion only)
November 19 - 20 (indoor only)

Things I Saw at Randolph Street Market
Black Lady, Vintage Painting circa 1960s/1970s, By Charles


Chocolate Boy, The Picaninny Caricatures, Antique Propaganda


Pin-Up Girls, Vintage Propaganda circa 1950s


Army Memorabilia, Vintage Army Gear and Findings

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home